By Shirley Lindahl
Edited by Jerry Rutherford
During World War II, a cooperative arrangement existed between the church and its next-door neighbor the American Legion Hall. When extra tables were needed for the Family Circus Night dinner, they were borrowed from the Legion who occasionally made the same request of the church.
There was no organized men's group at that time but they always seemed available when a job needed to be done. A church picnic was scheduled in June with a work party to do outside chores as the "entertainment" for the evening. (Sounds like a good idea!!)
The annual picnic was held at Beaver Lake with Alice Mayhew heading the food committee. Gordon Dick and Max Canterbury were in charge of games.
A couples social club had been started called the Y-Cons (Young Congregationalists). They met monthly for a variety of activities including speakers, holiday parties, potluck suppers or attending plays or events as a group. The took on the task of putting up the light fixtures in Fellowship Han in addition to their social events.
One of the circles took the name of Newberry Guild to honor the memory of the long-time minister of the church. Their project at that time was transforming the former kitchen into the bride's dressing room. Hearing aids were installed in the front pews that year.
During 1952 the church rolls showed 623 members with the addition of 136 new names. Only about 1/3 of the local membership attended service regularly. There were 54 baptisms. Reverend Smith with the assistance of his wife used a red rose to baptize each child and at the same time a candle was lit in their name.
The 1953 budget included items for newspaper advertisements, sidewalk assessments, and parsonage payments. John McCrory was chairman of the Board of Trustees when the parking difficulties were discussed.
Florence Gildow had returned as choir director and had three choirs that spring. Women's Federation sewed over 20 choir robes. A 50 voice youth choir sang once a month in church. A complimentary dinner was served the adult choir in May as a "thank you." Another innovation-the Sunday bulletin was mailed to those unable to attend church service. (Might be a good idea now, with a copy of the sermon, as they are taped.)
The men of the congregation volunteered to help repair the home of Marion Kidder when her husband died suddenly. Care was also extended when sponsoring families were assigned each new family joining the church. A city-wide fire inspection alerted the deacons to some possible hazards in the church building, and work was begun to correct them. Some members questioned the safety of the candles being lit at the Christmas Eve Service. It was decided to continue, but with added precautions.
Names appearing on the 1954 officer list for the first time were: Fred Smith, Jack Scofield, Dr. E. C. McKibben, Jr., Marion Kidder, Mary Blackburn, Vi Sievers (who celebrated her 91st birthday last month) and Audrey Hanson. Historian was Ida Gates, head usher was Clare Crowe, and Sunday School Superintendent was John Timbers.
Fireside services were held three Sunday evenings at the church to discuss
membership visitations, colony plan, coffee hours, social functions, work
parties and interest indicators for new committees. The Mayflower Room was
used for such meetings. It was the area immediately behind the sanctuary
(before the'60's remodel) and was often used for overflow seating as well as