By Shirley Lindahl
Edited by Jerry Rutherford
One of the last "chores" in completing the work was laying the tile floor. It was done by the members of the Kerchief and Kalico Square Dance Club in appreciation for the use of the room. In the late '40's square dancing was having a re-birth in the Northwest. When Reverend Don Mills, a square dance caller, arrived in town and found very few square dancers he decided to teach it. The Lake Washington School District offered the use of the gym as an adult education recreation program. Interest was high and the class taught by Reverend Mills soon formed Kerchief and Kalico Square Dance Club.. With the prospect of the use of the larger area they helped finish it in such a manner that it would be suitable for dancing.
Several of the church members who included Ed Hjorth, Tremaine McGinty and Herb Wilkinson learned to be callers with instruction from Reverend Mills. Other members who were charter members of the group included Clare & Ethel Crowe, Ruth & Bob Wiesen. Joining a few years later were Merle & Ellen Zigler (who still dance) and George & Shirley Lindahl.
The new section of the building was dedicated on May 14, 1950. Winifred Johnson suggested the name Fellowship Hall which was readily accepted by the members. Jean Proudfoot was in charge of the celebration which was combined with a party for John Nelson's 90th birthday. "The congregation gave him a rocking chair as a thank you for all his work for many years on the church building. It was supposed to be a subtle hint for him to take it easy. But I am afraid the rest of the family used it more than he ever did," exclaimed his daughter, Enid Johnston. She also said that she doubted that most of the people knew that he had single-handed put the church bell into place 10 years earlier. He had built the cribbing to get it hung just right. Asked why he didn't ask for help, the spunky Swede replied, "Wasn't anybody around to ask."
An officer's retreat was held the afternoon and evening of August 26 to coordinate the year's church activities. Plans were made to have coffee hours after church service and it was agreed to have classes for mothers of the nursery children.
Sunday School Superintendent Herb Wilkinson reported that we finally had enough room for 250 students. Expenses for completion of Fellowship Hall had exceeded the estimate by $3000.
The first record of a candlelight Christmas eve service appears in 1950. The choir presented their program in the morning service and Pilgrim Fellowship planned the 11:30 pm service with the Junior Choir singing.
Membership was approaching 500 in 1950. One valued member, Irving Gates, Pam Owens' grandfather, died this year. For over 30 years he had given unselfishly of his time in every possible manner. His home on First Street was just a few blocks from the church to which he was devoted so he walked over to do little chores that he felt needed attention. As a fitting tribute the Memorial Fund in his name was used to landscape and beautify the church grounds.
Junior High Pilgrim Fellowship was led by Gordon Dick, Eastside YMCA secretary. Reverend Mills was dean of both the Senior High Camp and Officer's Workshop Camp at N-Sid-Sen with the Kirkland youth well represented. Florence Gildow and Tremaine McGinty were on the staff for the camp at Seabeck. The High School Pilgrim Fellowship was the second largest in the state that year and often averaged 45 young people in church on a Sunday morning.
Reverend Mills 6 week bible class was well attended. The coffee hours were proving successful
for the fellowship they provided. Each Women's Federation Circle took one Sunday with the
Pilgrim Fellowship group taking any fifth Sunday.